Friday, December 19, 2003

Let me tell you about this man that I had the distinct honor of growing up with. I'm the first grandson in our house so it's natural that we'd become close. He's about 8 -10 years older than I am. Yes, he's considerably mature. He was my model in everything I do when I was a kid. I will follow him to his basketball games just a few blocks from our house, carrying his now sweaty jersey and towel.
We had this trusty tricycle. Had, being the operative word. We named it SKYLAB. I dunno why it got named after the first US Space Station. Didn't bother to ask as well. I think it's just as old as I am, maybe older. We loved that tricycle. We use it for all our short travelling needs. HE used to drive it with me on his back. He was the designated runner and houseboy that time.
One of our constant chores is to get some rice peelings. We call them "APA" ing old kapampangan. (no they are not the ice cream cones, it has a different pronunciation) I always enjoyed that particular chore. I could play on it and watch it fall down from the mill. We get about 3 sackful of it and head home. (btw, its free)

You might be wondering where we use it. We use if for cooking. If you seen our old "stove", it might blow your mind. You'll have second thoughts if we can cook anything on it. We cook every meal on it. Even on fiestas. We call it "pugun". Some kapampangan and tagalog might have heard it. It comes really handy in the morning when we have leftover pandesal or any bread from yesterday. My grandmother, God bless her for she's so kind to me, she gets those leftover bread and place them around one of the stove holes while she heats water for coffee. She always does this everyday. Then she'll cook scrambled eggs with fried potatoes which is my perennial favorite. Sigh.. I miss my hometown...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home