Sunday, November 27, 2005

I am happy. Wanna know why? I got my pay early and I was able to make a run to the biggest bookstore here. Here's what I got:

I dunno what attracted me to this book really. It's more of a feminist book but I have to admit, it's a good read. A welcome change to the fast-paced fiction I read. It's the story of 14-year-old Lily Owens in 1964. Lily's mother died when she was young, and her dad, T. Ray, does not treat her like a real person. One day, Lily finds a possession that belonged to her mother. On the back, it says, "Tiburon, SC." Lily then escapes to Tiburon with her nanny, Rosaleen, and meets three sisters who keep bees. As Lily uncovers details about her mother, she discovers the mother that she never had.

Oh, by the way, they'll make this a movie in 2006 and guess who'll be Lily? She's an American state. She may be north, she may be south. (riddling isn't on my resume)




~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

This author knows how to touch the spiritual side of you. He's able to fuse sentimental romantism with a twist of human contexts. One reason why I am taking spanish lessons now is so I can read his original writings. I'm not sure the translation caught the whole wind of his work. Kinda like Marquez.

Eleven Minutes tells the story of Maria, a young girl from a Brazilian village, whose first innocent brushes with love leave her heart-broken. At a tender age, she becomes convinced that she will never find true love, instead believing that 'Love is a terrible thing that will make you suffer...' A chance meeting in Rio takes her to Geneva, where she dreams of finding fame and fortune yet ends up working the streets as a prostitute. In Geneva, Maria drifts further and further away from love while at the same time developing a fascination with sex. Eventually, Maria's despairing view of love is put to the test when she meets a handsome young painter. In this odyssey of self-discovery, Maria has to choose between pursuing a path of darkness, sexual pleasure for its own sake or risking everything to find her own 'inner light' and the possibility of sacred sex, sex in the context of love.


So there you go. My new journey. Oooh, I can even taste it. I also so some good ones on the stack but I have to eat too you know. Catch you later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home